Other places to find legal help and information:
Tennessee's free legal information resources
HELP4TN is Tennessee's free legal information website.
Another great resource is Justice for All TN, a project of the Tennessee Supreme Court's Access to Justice Initative.
Legal aid programs in Tennessee
They give free legal help. Mostly they help people whose income is low for a family of that size. Sometimes they help people no matter how much they make. This is mostly people who are abused or over age 60. They don’t take criminal cases, only cases that you yourself can’t go to jail for.
Need a free lawyer? Call one of these offices near you. Don’t know which office to call? Go to HELP4TN.org to find out.
- Legal Aid of East Tennessee
- Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands or call 1-800-238-1443
- West Tennessee Legal Services
- Memphis Area Legal Services
- Are you a migrant or seasonal worker? Go to Southern Migrant Legal Services or call 1-888-988-9996. The website is called TRLA but it is for Tennessee, too.
If you need to hire an attorney, find a local one at:
Law Search Pro - a Lawyer Referral Service for Tennessee
You may find legal help and information at these places:
Need help with food, clothing, shelter, medicine or other services?
Other helpful agencies:
- Community Legal Center (pro bono legal help in Memphis)
- Southeast Tennessee Legal Services (legal aid in the Chattanooga area)
- Tennessee Justice Center (assists low-income people, particularly with health care and public benefit issues) or call 1-877-608-1009
- Disability Right Tennessee (assists clients with mental and physical disabilities) or call 1-800-342-1660
Active-Duty Military/Veterans Legal Assistance
ABA Home Front
ABA Home Front provides legal information, resources, and a directory of legal programs for veterans, service members, and military families. Programs listed include military legal assistance offices, legal aid and pro bono organizations, lawyer referral and information services, and military-specific programs where available.
ABA Military Pro Bono Project
The ABA Military Pro Bono Project accepts case referrals from military attorneys on behalf of junior-enlisted, active-duty military personnel facing civil legal issues, and it works to place these cases with pro bono attorneys.